Store DetectiveJob Description:
Store detectives prevent shoplifting in retail outlets and shopping centres.Job Category:
What you will do:
- follow shoppers or staff who behave suspiciously
- call the police to describe what you’ve seen
- take evidence from witnesses
- write short reports
- give evidence in court
- prevent anyone trying to leave the store with stolen goods
- knowledge of public safety and security
- knowledge of English language
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
UK apprenticeships relevant to this role include Level 3 Security first line manager
You could apply directly for jobs if you’ve got relevant experience in retail security, or from working in the police, armed forces or a security company.
You’ll need to:
- have a good level of fitness
- be over 18 years of age
- pass enhanced background checks
Employers will carry out checks on your personal and work history, which could go back up to 10 years.
In the UK, you may need a security licence issued by the Security Industry Authority (SIA) for certain jobs. You can complete relevant SIA approved training if you need to get one.
You might also need a driving licence and access to a vehicle.
Working Hours and Environment:
You could work at a store or in a court.
Your working environment may be crowded.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience you could progress to a senior post, like supervisor or security manager.
You could also become self-employed and work on contracts for stores.