Advertising CopywriterJob Description:
Advertising copywriters write the text for TV, radio, print, and online adverts.Job Category:
What you will do:
You’ll work as a team with an art director, who’ll provide the images to go with your words.
You’ll work from a brief that will tell you about the client, their product, the target audience and the advertising message they want to get across.
- write clear and persuasive words
- present your ideas to the agency’s creative director and account team, and later, the client
- make sure your work meets the codes of advertising practice
- proofread copy to check spelling, grammar and facts
- work with photographers, designers, production companies and printers
You’ll often work on several projects at once, usually under the supervision of a creative director.
- knowledge of English language
- knowledge of media production and communication
- the ability to read English
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things (creativity)
- the ability to sell products and services
- the ability to work well with others
- excellent verbal communication skills
There are no set entry requirements, but you’ll need to be extremely creative, have excellent writing skills and commercial awareness.
An online presence and portfolio of work, paid or unpaid work experience and a network of contacts would be useful.
It may also help if you have a degree in a subject like advertising, communication studies, creative writing, English or journalism, although some employers prefer diverse degree subjects.
You could also get into this job through a higher apprenticeship.
Working Hours and Environment:
You’ll usually work 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Your days will be longer if you have deadlines to meet.
You’ll spend most of your time in an office. You may sometimes travel to meet clients.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience, you could progress to senior copywriter and creative director.
You could also work freelance or set up your own agency.