Beauty ConsultantJob Description:
Beauty consultants sell beauty products and help customers choose which ones to buy.Job Category:
What you will do:
In this role you’ll:
- talk to customers and recommend the best products for them
- give advice on how to use and apply products
- meet sales targets
- keep up to date with new product ranges
- monitor stock levels and re-order items (organisational skills)
- keep customer and product records
- handle cash and card payments
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- customer service skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- persuading and negotiating skills
- active listening skills
- the ability to sell products and services
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You could study for:
- Certificate in Beauty Consultancy (Level 2 in the UK)
- Certificate in Cosmetic Make-Up and Beauty Consultancy (Level 2 in the UK)
- Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Level 2 in the UK)
- a general qualification in retail, sales or customer service
You could do an intermediate apprenticeship as a beauty make-up consultant.
This typically takes 12 months to complete as a mix of workplace learning and off-the-job study.
You could work in retail sales then apply for a consultant’s position with a beauty stall in a department store.
You may be able to apply directly if you have experience in a retail sales, beauty therapy or a customer service role.
It will be useful to show a keen interest in make-up and skin care brands.
- follow cosmetics ‘influencers’ on social media
- trial new products and write online reviews
- do your own social media, make-up or skin-care tutorials
Working Hours and Environment:
You could work at a store, on a cruise ship, in a beauty clinic or from home.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience and further training you could supervise other beauty consultants or move into retail management.
You could work as a beauty brand sales representative or start your own beauty business.