Carpet Fitter & Floor LayerJob Description:
Carpet fitters and floor layers fit carpets and vinyl tiles and lay laminate and solid timber floors.Job Category:
What you will do:
In this job you could work on domestic and commercial jobs and will:
- measure floor space and estimate the amount of materials needed
- clear away furniture and take off doors
- remove old flooring
- clean, level and seal the work area
- glue or nail underlay and floor coverings
- stretch carpet over spiked gripper rods and taping
- heat-seal joins and edges on vinyl flooring
- spray or wax floor coverings to give them a protective coating
- use fast-track flooring systems
- put furniture back and trim and re-hang doors
- knowledge of maths
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- the ability to work on your own
- customer service skills
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to use your initiative (ambition/drive)
- physical skills like movement, coordination and dexterity
To become a Carpet Fitter and Floor Layer, specific subjects are not typically required. However, a strong educational foundation in certain subjects can be beneficial for developing skills relevant to this trade. Carpet fitters and floor layers are skilled professionals who install and repair various types of flooring materials. While specific subjects are not mandatory, here are some subjects and skills that can be helpful:
- Mathematics: Basic math skills are important for measuring and cutting flooring materials accurately, calculating area and materials needed, and estimating costs.
- Design and Technology (Woodworking or Construction Focus): Courses related to design and technology can provide hands-on experience with tools and materials used in carpentry and construction.
- English Language: Effective communication skills are essential for understanding client requirements and instructions, as well as for documenting work and providing customer service.
- Physics (optional): A basic understanding of physics principles can be helpful when working with certain flooring materials and installation methods.
- Business Studies (optional): Courses in business studies can provide knowledge about managing a flooring installation business, including customer relations, budgeting, and project management.
- ICT (Information and Communication Technology): Proficiency in using computer software for tasks like project estimation and scheduling can be beneficial.
- Art and Design (optional): Courses in art and design can help develop an understanding of aesthetics and colour coordination, which can be relevant when choosing and installing flooring materials.
While specific subjects are not mandatory, having a general education that includes strong math skills, proficiency in using tools, and effective communication skills can be advantageous for a career as a Carpet Fitter and Floor Layer.
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
- training with a professional body
You can start by doing a floor layer intermediate apprenticeship.
You could apply directly to work as a carpet fitter and floor layer.
Employers will expect you to:
- have practical skills
- be good with numbers for things like measuring and
- working out quantities
- have good customer service skills if the job involves
- visiting customers in their own homes
You can do courses through a professional body. This may help you to find work as a trainee with a carpet fitting and floor laying company.
Working Hours and Environment:
Typically you could work 45 to 47 hours a week, occasionally including evenings or weekends.
You could work at a client’s home or at a client’s business.
Your working environment may be physically demanding.
You may need to wear protective clothing.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience, you could become a team supervisor, estimator or contracts manager.
You could move into other areas like buying and product sales.
You could also set up your own business, laying carpets and installing floors.