Garment TechnologistJob Description:
Garment technologists choose the right fabrics and designs for manufacturers to make clothes at a set cost.Job Category:
What you will do:
In your day-to-day tasks you could:
- suggest changes to clothing pattern designs
- give advice on suitable fabrics
- make sure garments can be produced within budget
- oversee fabric testing and first sample fittings
- make sure that the correct garment construction methods are used
- respond to product queries
- analyse product returns and faults
- produce quality control reports
You could work in a creative studio or in an office.
- knowledge of maths
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
- knowledge of manufacturing production and processes
- the ability to analyse quality or performance
As well as:
- the ability to work well with your hands
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to use your initiative (ambition)
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
You could do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in garment technology or fashion design.
You could start with a college course before applying for a job as a garment technology assistant.
In the UK, for example, courses include:
- Certificate in Fashion and Textiles
- Diploma in Garment Technology for Fashion Retail
You can get into this job through a fashion and textiles product technologist higher apprenticeship, or a technical textiles specialist higher apprenticeship.
You may be able to start as a garment technology assistant after completing a qualification in fashion or textiles. You would do further training on the job to become a technologist.
Working Hours and Environment:
A typical week consists of 38-40 hours of work. You may be required to work evenings occasionally.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience, you could become a senior technologist, quality controller or technical production manager.
You could also move into research or teaching in a university fashion and textiles department.