Land SurveyorJob Description:
Land surveyors measure the shape of the land, and gather data for civil engineering and construction projects.Job Category:
What you will do:
In this role you will:
- collect and analyse data to map the land for civil engineering and construction projects
- carry out surveys and identify potential effects of construction on the environment
- use GPS and surveying instruments
- use digital images and satellite photos
- collect and analyse data using geographic information systems (GIS)
- monitor land movement as a result of construction and natural processes
- create charts and maps using computer-aided design (CAD)
- maths knowledge
- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- knowledge of geography
- to have a thorough understanding of computer systems and applications
As well as:
- analytical thinking skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to use your initiative (drive)
- excellent verbal communication skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- an apprenticeship
- a graduate training scheme
You’ll usually need a relevant degree or postgraduate qualification.
Relevant subjects include:
- civil engineering
- geographical information science
You may be able to do a postgraduate conversion course if your first degree is not related to surveying.
You could do a geospatial and mapping science degree apprenticeship.
You could get a postgraduate qualification through a graduate trainee scheme.
You could also get a graduate diploma in surveying by distance learning, with the University College of Estate Management, if you’re working for a surveying practice.
Working Hours and Environment:
You could work in an office or on a construction site.
You may need to wear safety clothing and use safety equipment.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience, you could move into project management or contract management. You could specialise in an aspect of surveying, or work as a self-employed consultant.
You may also be able to apply for chartered environmentalist status.