Aromatherapists use essential oils to help improve their clients' emotional wellbeing and relieve everyday stresses.Job Category:
What you will do:
In this role you may:
- explain treatments to the client
- take details of the client’s medical history, diet and lifestyle
- select the oils you feel are appropriate for helping the client
- blend and keep a record of the oils you use
- apply oils during massage treatment
- supply blended oils and instructions for clients to use at home
- refer clients to their GP when necessary
- knowledge of acupuncture methods
- knowledge of types of aromatherapy treatments, essential oils and relaxation techniques
- consultation skills
- customer service skills
- the ability to sell products and services (creativity)
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- excellent verbal & written communication skills
- active listening skills
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to work well with your hands
- a desire to help people – client focussed
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- ethical work behaviour
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
You could take a foundation degree or degree in complementary therapies or complementary healthcare. These include units on aromatherapy.
You could take a college course. In the UK, for example, courses include:
- Diploma in Complementary Therapies
- Diploma in Aromatherapy for the Complimentary Therapist
You could do a wellbeing and holistic therapist advanced apprenticeship.
This typically takes around 20 months to complete as a mix of workplace learning and off-the-job study.
Working Hours and Environment:
A typical week consists of 37-39 hours of work. You could be required to work evenings/weekends as customers demand.
You could work at a health spa, from home, at a client’s home or in a therapy clinic. You may need to wear a uniform.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience as a self-employed aromatherapist, you could set up your business at home or at other premises or visit clients in their homes.
With further training, you could offer additional treatments to increase your income, like reflexology or massage.