Commercial Energy AssessorJob Description:
Commercial energy assessors measure the energy efficiency of commercial buildings to produce Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificates.Job Category:
What you will do:
In your day-to-day duties, you may:
- carry out detailed inspections of properties
- collect information on property age, number of floors and building type
- measure the number and size of rooms and windows
- identify heating systems
- write reports and advise on how to reduce energy use and costs
- record the information on a computer system to produce an energy efficiency rating and Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) (a UK requirement)
- knowledge of building and construction
- maths knowledge
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
As well as:
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to read English
- analytical thinking skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative (drive)
- organisational skills
You can get into this job through specialist courses run by private training organisations.
If you have no previous experience of commercial energy assessing, in the UK you’ll need to do one or both of the following:
- Level 3 Diploma in Non-Domestic Energy Assessments
- Level 4 Diploma in Commercial Energy Assessments
With a Level 3 diploma, you can carry out assessments on existing buildings.
With a Level 4 diploma, you can carry out assessments on new and existing commercial buildings.
If you have relevant experience from related roles or industries like surveying, construction or engineering, you may be able to do a fast-track course or have your previous experience accredited.
Working Hours and Environment:
You could work in an office, from home or visit sites.
Career Path & Progression:
With further training you could:
- carry out low-carbon assessments
- consult on sustainability issues
- become a teacher, helping students gain a certificate or diploma