Computer ProgrammerJob Description:
Computer programmers create, modify, and test the code, forms, and script that allow computer applications to run.Job Category:
What you will do:
Your day-to-day will include tasks such as:
- Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software as a systems programmer.
- Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program.
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
- Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation, and convert them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language.
- Develop Web sites. Write, analyze, review, and rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, and symbolic logic.
- Write, update, and maintain computer programs or software packages to handle specific jobs such as tracking inventory, storing or retrieving data, or controlling other equipment.
- Consult with and assist computer operators or system analysts to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
- Train subordinates in programming and program coding.
A computer programmer usually must have a BSc degree in computer science, mathematics, or information systems, as well as the knowledge of the major programming language.
However, some people with the right aptitude but the wrong degree, or even no degree, have still managed to become highly successful programmers. In some cases, companies may be willing to take you on and train you to their requirements as a Junior Programmer.
Working Hours and Environment:
Usually more than 40 hours a week. Working hours are usually set with an established routine.
Career Path & Progression:
Many experienced computer programmers advance to supervisor or higher levels and there are several types of programmer. There is the potential for computer programmers to earn large salaries.