Quarry WorkerJob Description:
Quarry workers dig out and process rock, slate, gravel and sand from quarries or mines.Job Category:
What you will do:
In your day-to-day tasks you could:
- use mechanical diggers to excavate rock, clay, sand, gravel and slate
- operate equipment like rock crushers and stone graders
- use drilling equipment
- maintain vehicles and machinery
- set and detonate explosives
- transport materials in large trucks
- the ability to operate and control equipment
- the ability to use, repair and maintain machines and tools
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- the ability to work on your own
- the ability to work well with your hands
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- physical fitness and endurance
- physical skills like strength and coordination
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could get into this job through an intermediate apprenticeship as a mineral processing mobile and static plant operator.
You can apply directly for jobs if you’ve got experience or qualifications in construction, mining, or operating heavy machinery like mechanical diggers.
A relevant driving licence, for example, a large goods vehicle or plant operator’s licence, may give you an advantage when looking for work.
Restrictions and Requirements
You’ll need to:
- have a driving licence that includes LGV for lorries, or PCV for buses, if you work with these vehicles
You may need your own transport to get to work, as quarries are usually in the countryside.
Working Hours and Environment:
You could work at a quarry.
Your working environment may be cramped, physically demanding, dusty and dirty.
You may need to wear protective clothing.
Career Path & Progression:
With training and experience, you could become a site supervisor, mineral products technician or quarry manager. You could also move into:
- quality control
- explosives work – shotfiring
- health and safety inspection
- machine and plant maintenance
- laboratory work like testing samples