Agricultural Engineering TechnicianJob Description:
Agricultural engineering technicians help to solve practical engineering problems in land-based industries.Job Category:
What you will do:
In this role you could:
- help agricultural engineers develop new products
- create equipment plans using computer-aided design (CAD) software
- install and test machinery
- research machinery developments and market trends
- demonstrate and sell new equipment and deal with enquiries
- maths knowledge
- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- design skills and knowledge (creative skills)
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
As well as:
- be thorough and pay attention to detail (organisational skills)
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to use your initiative (adaptability skills)
- concentration skills
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could do a degree in:
- agricultural engineering
- agricultural machinery engineering
- agricultural technology
You could do a land-based service engineering technician advanced apprenticeship.
You can do this with an equipment manufacturer, service and repair contractor or at an agricultural college.
You might be able to apply directly if you’ve got a qualification and experience in land-based engineering or servicing heavy plant equipment.
Working Hours and Environment:
Typical hours are 40-42 a week but these are variable.
You could also work in the evening and on weekends.
You could work in an office, in a workshop or in a factory.
Your working environment may be physically demanding and outdoors in all weathers.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience you could:
- become a senior agricultural engineering
- technician or workshop manager
- become self-employed if you have the knowledge and industry contacts
- move into a senior sales, management or inspection
- move into a training role and become a further education teacher