Construction Plant Hire AdviserJob Description:
Construction plant hire advisers rent out plant machinery, tools and equipment to builders and the public.Job Category:
What you will do:
As a plant hire adviser, you may:
- take customer orders and give rental quotes
- show customers how to operate equipment safely
- advise customers on which equipment is best for their needs
- put orders together and organise deliveries
- take payments
- monitor stock levels
- arrange regular safety checks on equipment with mechanics
- keep hire records up to date
- answer customer questions face to face, over the phone or online
- the ability to sell products and services
- maths knowledge
- administration skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
As well as:
To become a Construction Plant Hire Adviser, specific subjects are not typically required. However, having a general education with a focus on practical skills, mathematics, and business-related subjects can be beneficial. Here are some subjects that can be helpful:
- Mathematics: Strong mathematical skills are important for tasks like financial analysis, budgeting, and pricing strategies.
- Business Studies or Economics: Courses related to business can provide knowledge about business operations, marketing, and management, which are relevant to advising on construction plant hire.
- English Language: Effective communication skills, including reading and writing, are important for documentation, contracts, and client interactions.
- Design and Technology: Courses related to design and technology can provide a basic understanding of construction equipment and machinery.
- ICT (Information and Communication Technology): Proficiency in using computer software and technology for data analysis, project management, and communication can be valuable.
- Physical Education (PE): A basic level of physical fitness and stamina can be helpful if you need to visit construction sites or interact with equipment.
While specific subjects are not mandatory, having a general education that includes mathematics, business-related subjects, and good communication skills can be advantageous in preparing for a career as a Construction Plant Hire Adviser.
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You can do a hire controller intermediate apprenticeship.
You could apply directly to work as a plant hire adviser.
Employers usually look for experience in construction, warehousing or retail. Strong customer service and administration skills will also be helpful.
Working Hours and Environment:
Typically you could work 37 to 42 hours a week, occasionally including evenings, weekends, or holidays.
You could work at a store, in a contact centre or on a construction site.
Your working environment may be outdoors some of the time.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career Path & Progression:
- become a store supervisor then depot manager
- move into equipment servicing or sales
- train as a construction plant mechanic