Racehorse trainerJob Description:
Racehorse trainers run stables, manage staff, look after horses' training and welfare, and prepare them for races.Job Category:
What you will do:
In your day-to-day duties you could:
- work out daily training and exercise routines
- plan feeding programmes for each horse
- monitor horses’ development
- talk to staff and vets about any problems
- supervise stable staff
- manage preparations and travel for race days
- keep racehorse owners up to date with their horses’ progress
- deal with administrative work like training records, wages and payments
- knowledge of training
- ability to design courses
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- customer service skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work on your own (drive)
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- specialist courses run by professional bodies
You can work towards this role by doing a senior equine groom advanced apprenticeship.
This will usually take at least 18 months to complete.
You could work at a racing stables as a groom, a rider or instructor. You would then move on to become an assistant trainer before applying for the full trainer’s licence.
As an assistant trainer, you could do a course which would teach you about:
- staff management
- media training
- health and safety
- racing welfare
Working Hours and Environment:
A typical week consists of 45-47 hours of work. You could be required to work early mornings flexibly.
You could work at a riding stable, in an office or at a race track. Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience you could become a specialist racing consultant, trainer instructor, bloodstock agent or thoroughbred breeder.