Satellite EngineerJob Description:
Satellite engineers install and repair telecoms equipment and satellite systems.Job Category:
What you will do:
In your day-to-day duties you could:
- survey a site to plan a job
- work out where cabling networks will go
- install and fix aerials or satellite dishes
- check signal strength
- test equipment and fix faults
- calculate quotes to install new systems
- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software
- broadcasting and telecommunications knowledge
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork)
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to repair machines or systems
- customer service skills
- the ability to work well with your hands
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
- specialist courses run by professional bodies
You could do a college course, which would teach you some of the skills you need in this job. Relevant courses include:
- Diploma in Electrical Installation
- Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
You could get started by doing an electrical and electronic service and installation engineer advanced apprenticeship or a space engineering technician higher apprenticeship.
You can apply directly to installation companies if you have experience or qualifications from roles like:
- electronic or electrical engineering
- electrical equipment servicing
You can do short introductory courses in basic satellite and aerial installation through organisations such as the Confederation of Aerial Industries (in the UK).
Restrictions and Requirements
You’ll usually need a driving licence to travel from job to job.
Working Hours and Environment:
You could work at a client’s home or at a client’s business.
Your working environment may be at height and outdoors some of the time.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career Path & Progression:
With further training and experience, you could plan and design telecommunications systems, or set up your own business installing satellite dishes and equipment.