SEO SpecialistJob Description:
An SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) specialist makes a company more visible online by boosting its position in results on search engines.Job Category:
What you will do:
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- running PPC (pay-per-click) campaigns online
- creating sponsored social media campaigns to boost your company’s engagement
- monitoring the analytics from your website to see if your tactics are working
- reporting on these analytics and presenting reports to managers
- working with other companies to integrate links (called affiliate links) to your company on their platform
- staying up to date with algorithm changes and adjusting your SEO accordingly
- knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software including programming languages and coding
- knowledge of English language
As well as:
- flexibility, so you can adapt your methods when you need to (adaptable)
- good communication skills
- a sales-minded approach
- research skills & an interest in analysing data
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to use your initiative (drive)
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things (creativity)
- the ability to think clearly using logic and reasoning
This position is usually available to those with a degree. It’s not essential for this to be in a related subject, but subjects like Marketing or IT might be beneficial.
You could also apply with a Higher National Diploma, foundation degree or qualification of a similar level, but significant extra experience will normally be needed.
It would be a big advantage to be familiar with coding.
Working Hours and Environment:
Most full-time SEO specialists work eight hours a day, Monday to Friday. Hours may be longer towards deadlines or busy periods. There are often part-time or shared roles available in this position too.
Work could be based in an office, remotely, or a combination of both.
Career Path & Progression:
You could progress to an SEO manager role, and eventually, a Head of digital marketing or a similar senior position. You could use your experience to apply for similar roles like, for example, Marketing executive or one of the roles listed to the right.