Removals WorkerJob Description:
Removals workers move household and office furniture and other items from one location to another.Job Category:
What you will do:
You’ll usually work as part of a team to:
- check with customers which items are to be moved
- take apart larger items of furniture for packing and removal
- remove doors, door frames or windows to get large pieces of furniture in or out of a building
- pack items, load them into your vehicle and secure them safely
- make sure fragile or sentimental items are handled with care
- drive to a new location and unload items
- knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
- administration skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As well as:
- customer service skills
- active listening skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure (leadership skills)
- the ability to work well with others (teamwork skills)
- the ability to use your initiative (ambition)
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
You would apply directly to removals companies and then receive on-the-job training. You do not need any particular qualifications to start.
Good customer service skills are important for dealing respectfully with clients and their belongings.
Experience of delivery driving or warehouse work could help.
Working Hours and Environment:
A typical week consists of 43-45 hours of work. You could be required to work evenings/weekends away from home.
You could work at a client’s home, at a client’s business or from a vehicle.
Career Path & Progression:
With experience, you could progress to specialist packer, supervisor, manager, or removals coordinator.
You could start your own removals or house clearance company.